Nebraska Appleseed’s Legislative Update
News and Updates from the Nebraska Unicameral
Happy 2022! The Nebraska Legislature officially kicked off this year’s short session today. Senators will introduce new legislation for the next 10 days and hearings on those bills will begin in a few short weeks. We also expect floor debate on carry-over legislation to start as soon as next week.
There are a few important updates to how you can share your voice on legislation that’s important to you:
- To be included in a bill’s legislative record this year, you must either testify in-person or submit an online comment prior to the hearing.
- Online public comments for the record must be submitted by 12pm the day before the hearing via the online comment portal in order to be added to the official public hearing record.
- However, we still encourage you to contact your senator any time via email or their office phone number on the issues that matter to you!
More information about these options can be found here.
Nebraska Appleseed Priorities for 2022
Together with you, we will be advocating for meaningful change to build a stronger, vibrant, and more inclusive Nebraska for all. Senators must act to:
- Strengthen worker protections as the pandemic continues into this new year.
- Distribute Nebraska’s allocation of American Rescue Plan Act funding equitably, getting direct support into the hands of people who need it most.
- Create much needed transparency for youth in foster care who are eligible for federal benefits.
- Streamline access to Medicaid programs for kids in communities across Nebraska.
These are just a few of the priorities Appleseed will be working on in 2022. We know this is ambitious, which is why sharing your support and concerns with your state senator will be more important than ever.
Stay up to date on Appleseed’s issues
You can keep up with all the happenings at the Legislature by following Appleseed online. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram. Don’t miss out on our live updates on legislative hearings on Twitter. Stop by our blog for opinion pieces, informative updates, and news stories.
We’ll let you know how you can take action to get involved and make your voice heard throughout the session!
Want to support our work? Consider giving a donation today.