VIGIL TO RESTORE PRENATAL CARE
TODAY: Wednesday, April 11, 5pm
Help ensure that all Nebraska babies have the chance at a healthy start in life.
Wednesday, April 11
State Capitol, Lincoln
(West side of the capitol building – at the statue of Lincoln – 14th Street & Lincoln Mall.)
The effort to restore prenatal care is at a critical stage. It’s not over yet! Bring a friend and show support for the Legislature’s final steps to pass this bill.
Please note: We were told candles are not allowed on Capitol property, so there is no need to bring a candle.
Prenatal care is fiscally responsible. It’s good health policy. It’s the right thing to do.
Download the vigil flyer here.
Tips for participants:
- Please help reinforce the tone that this is a vigil, not a rally.
- If opponents of prenatal care are present, please do not engage them. This does not help our cause. Simply show our strong, peaceful support for Nebraska’s children.
Background on LB 599:
LB 599 would restore prenatal care coverage for all low-income women and babies. It is critical because:
- Prenatal care is essential to ensuring that all Nebraska babies have the chance at a healthy start in life.
- Every $1 spent on prenatal care can save between $2.57 and $3.38 in later costs by avoiding premature and low birth weight babies, preventable birth defects, and difficult births.
- Prenatal care makes a difference for a lifetime.
- Nebraska provided prenatal care to all low-income women and babies for decades and we need to return to that proud tradition. See the timeline.
Check out our fact sheet on LB 599!
Partial list of organizations that support LB 599:
Anti-Defamation League – Plains States Region
Building Bright Futures
Center for People in Need
Center for Rural Affairs
Creighton Center for Service and Justice
Health Center Association of Nebraska
Interchurch Ministries of Nebraska
League of Women Voters of Greater Omaha
League of Women Voters of Nebraska
March of Dimes
Nebraska Appleseed Center for Law in the Public Interest
National Association of Social Workers – Nebraska Chapter
Nebraska Catholic Conference
Nebraska Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
Nebraska Child Healthcare Alliance
Nebraska Head Start Association
Nebraska Hospital Association
Nebraska Medical Association
Nebraska Right to Life
Omaha Together One Community
One World Community Health Center
Risk-Taking Mission & Justice Ministries of the Nebraska Conference – United Methodist Church
Voices for Children