As early as Friday, the US House of Representatives could vote on the Heroes Act which is designed to close gaps in previous relief measures and support families and communities as they continue to confront the COVID-19 public health crisis and its ripple effects.
This bill would provide critical relief to thousands of Nebraskans left out of the CARES Act, extend increased unemployment benefits, bolster public programs like SNAP and Medicaid, increase funding for child welfare services, protections to keep people in their homes, and provide long overdue enforceable health and safety protections for people working in meat and poultry processing.
The Heroes Act would:
- Set up a national moratorium on evictions and foreclosures and provide $100 billion in emergency rental assistance and eviction prevention.
- Increase SNAP benefits for thousands of Nebraskans to help keep food on the table.
- Increase funding for Medicaid to help states meet the higher demand for the program and a special Marketplace enrollment period to help people access health coverage as Nebraskans are laid off and lose health insurance.
- Extend the $600 boost in Unemployment Insurance through the end of the year for the thousands of Nebraskans currently out of work.
- Increase funding for child welfare programs ensuring critical supports to older youth remain intact.
- Provides economic impact payments retroactively and going forward to Nebraskans who were not eligible for the first round of relief due to their immigration status.
- Create enforceable workplace safety protections for Nebraskans that work in meat and poultry processing, including requiring plants to follow the CDC guidance on 6-foot distancing on the production line and a prohibition against retaliation for reporting health and safety violations.
Our Representatives need to act now to provide these critical supports to our family members, friends, and neighbors, many of whom are working on the front lines of providing essential services in food production, health care, emergency response, and transportation.
Please contact your Representative today and tell them to vote for the Heroes Act to bring these critical supports to Nebraskans.
Dist. 1 – Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (202)225-4806
Dist. 2 – Rep. Don Bacon (202) 225-4155
Dist. 3 – Rep. Adrian Smith (202) 225-6435
Your voice is critical! Together we can make sure that no Nebraskans are left behind. Join me in making a call today.