September is Hunger Action Month and the momentum is building to address childhood hunger in Nebraska and Nationwide.
Our vision of assuring that all kids have the food they need to grow, learn, and succeed is within reach.
As a nation, we are turning our eyes towards the goal of ending childhood hunger by 2015. As a state, we are doing our part to achieve that goal by increasing awareness about the benefits of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, by growing our backpack programs, and through personal kindnesses and community smarts in a number of ways on any given day.
And yet, one in six children in Nebraska remains food insecure, meaning that they don’t know where their next meal is coming from.
We all have our work to do to address this problem: distributing food, tracking progress, serving school meals, making sure our own children leave the house with breakfast in their tummies. At the same time, we all have a shared vision: hunger free kids.
How do we continue to build the energy, excitement, and momentum needed to solve this problem that hurts families in so many ways?
Nebraska Appleseed encourages you to take action in three major ways:
- Support H.R. 5504 the “Improving Nutrition for America’s Children Act.” This act will increase resources for summer and after school meals programs, will create opportunities to expand school breakfast programs, and will improve nutritional quality of foods served in school and preschool settings. It will be a big step towards the goal of ending childhood hunger by 2015. Learn more about how to take action here: http://frac.org/legislative-action-center/
- Join the Food Bank of Lincoln’s “30 Ways in 30 Days” initiative to end hunger. Learn more here: http://www.lincolnfoodbank.org/
- Attend a launch event for Hunger Free Heartland. Hunger Free Heartland is an initiative to end childhood hunger in the Omaha/Council Bluffs metro area. Join one of the launch meetings to learn more!
- School Event: Monday, September 27th from 9-10:30 am at Kellom Elementary
- Corporate Event: Tuesday, September 28th from 7:30-9:00 a.m. at the Chamber of Commerce – free breakfast provided
- Childcare Provider Event: Tuesday, September 28th from 7:00-9:00 p.m. at the Nebraska Extension Office (sponsored by ECCOA and NE Extension) – free dinner and opportunity to earn in-service credits
- Faith-based / Families Event: Wednesday, September 29th from 2:30-4:00 p.m. at the ConAgra Learning Center – free appetizers and beverages
- Contact Sue Arment at firstname.lastname@example.org for details and to RSVP
There are 13 days left in September – plenty of time for action on hunger!