Crucial House votes coming today. Make your voice heard!
This morning, the House is expected to vote on a bill, H.R. 5230, known as the “Secure the Southwest Border Act of 2014.”
We strongly oppose this bill because it would cause more harm to vulnerable child refugees.
The bill would:
- Strip critical protections under the 2008 Trafficking Victims Protection Act.
- Speed up the removal process for children before investigating whether it’s safe for them in their home countries.
- Further restrict their access to legal counsel.
Sending vulnerable children back to violence and possible death are not Nebraska values!
The House is also expected to vote on H.R. 5272 “No New DREAMers Act,” which would prohibit the Administration from expanding deferred action as was done with the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Program.
Call your Representative ASAP to ask them to vote “NO” on H.R. 5230 and “NO” on H.R. 5272
- District 1 – Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (202) 225-4806 or (402) 438-1598
- District 2 – Rep. Lee Terry (202) 225-4155 or (402) 397-9944
- District 3 – Rep. Adrian Smith (202) 225-6435 or (308) 384-3900
Tell our members of Congress that taking away children’s protections and due process rights and harming DREAMers is the WRONG way to handle this situation. We expect our leaders to reflect Nebraska’s strong values of peace and compassion.