Welcome to 2024! Today is the first day of the Nebraska Legislature’s 2024 session. This will be a short, 60-day session and is scheduled to end on April 18th.
Today’s agenda includes an election for a new chairperson of the Executive Board, followed by new bill introductions that will run every day from now through Day 10 on January 17th. Since this is the second session of the biennial Nebraska Legislature, any unresolved bills from 2023’s session will carry over into this year and can still be passed in 2024.
Floor debate is expected to begin on January 10th and public hearings on new bills will start the week of January 22nd – stay tuned for more updates when these dates get closer!
There are several ways that you can share your voice on legislation that’s important to you!
- To be included in a bill’s legislative record, you must either testify in-person or submit an online comment prior to the hearing.
- Online public comments for the record must be submitted by 12:00 PM the day before the hearing via the online comment portal in order to be added to the official public hearing record.
- However, we still encourage you to contact your senator any time via email or their office phone number on the issues that matter to you! (Find your senator.)
If this is your first time engaging with the legislature, sign up for our January 16 virtual event, “How to Make Your Voice Heard in Nebraska’s Legislature” to learn more about the basics.
Together with you, we will be advocating for meaningful change to build a stronger, vibrant, and more inclusive Nebraska for all. Senators must act to:
- Ensure that all Nebraskans have access to healthy foods.
- Put money into the pockets of the families who need it most.
- Address the disproportionate effect that our child welfare system has on families of color.
- Protect Nebraskans’ access to all of the health care we need.
- Expand protections for Nebraska’s most vulnerable workers.
These are just a few of the priorities Appleseed will be working on in 2024. We know this is ambitious, which is why sharing your support and concerns with your state senator will be more important than ever. Next week, we’ll share a full list of our 2024 legislative priorities.
You can keep up with all the happenings at the Legislature by following Appleseed online:
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
- Don’t miss out on our live updates on legislative hearings on Twitter.
We’ll let you know how you can take action to get involved and make your voice heard throughout the session!