Staff Attorney – Health Care Access Program
Nebraska Appleseed is seeking a Health Care Access Program Staff Attorney. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for researching, analyzing, and developing legal and policy solutions to advocate for access to quality and affordable health care for all Nebraskans. The Staff Attorney will assist in legislative and administrative advocacy. The Staff Attorney will report to the Director of the Health Care Access program and work closely with members of the Health Care Access Program team, as well as the Policy Director and Legal Director. This is a full-time position based in our office in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Nebraska Appleseed is a nonprofit organization that fights for justice and opportunity for all Nebraskans. Nebraska Appleseed takes a systemic approach to complex issues – such as children’s welfare, immigration policy, affordable healthcare, and poverty – and we take our work wherever we can do the most good, whether that’s in the courthouse, at the statehouse, or in the community. For more information, visit neappleseed.org.
Nebraska Appleseed is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity among our board, staff, interns, clerks, and volunteers. These foundational values are central to our mission to increase justice and opportunity for all Nebraskans.
Nebraska Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ people, individuals with disabilities, individuals with personal experience with poverty, and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Nebraska Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
- Conduct legal research and analysis focused on key issues affecting Nebraskans’ access to quality and affordable health care, especially issues related to Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act.
- Support the Health Care Access Program’s legislative efforts through completing research and drafting legislation and providing legislative and administrative testimony.
- Work with the Health Care Access Program Director, Legal Director, and other staff attorneys to develop and conduct impact or class action litigation to remedy problems.
- Develop educational materials (e.g., reports, fact sheets, presentations, policy briefs) for key stakeholders.
- Supervise law clerks and work with the Intake Coordinator and community organizers on intakes relating to health care access issues
- Licensed to practice law in Nebraska or willing to take necessary steps to be licensed.
- Excellent legal research, analytic, and writing skills.
- Creative and strategic thinking. The ability to develop novel legal theories and strategies to address complex problems and keep the big picture in mind.
- Ability to work independently and be organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively build and maintain community relationships.
- Knowledge and awareness of health care laws including the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid.
- Exceptional recent graduates will be considered as well as more experienced attorneys.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
- Experience with litigation and legislative and administrative advocacy.
- Experience in or demonstrated commitment to public interest law and advocacy together with low-income Nebraskans
Salary and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary based on experience and benefits including health, vision, dental, 401(k), and vacation. See full details at www.neappleseed.org/jobs.
The application deadline is June 11, 2019 and the target start date is flexible.
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, your bar number or explanation of your current status of licensure, and list of three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to Nebraska Appleseed, Attn: Human Resources, 941 O Street, Suite 920, Lincoln, NE 68508.
Get Involved With Nebraska Appleseed
There are many ways to get involved with Appleseed, and we welcome all passionate individuals who are interested in learning more about and becoming engaged in our work.
Fill out our volunteer form below or apply for an internship or clerkship and a staff member will be in touch with you about next steps towards joining us in the fight for justice and opportunity for all Nebraskans.
Internships & Clerkships
Nebraska Appleseed routinely has positions for interns and law clerks to help support our work. If you are interested in being a law clerk or intern please complete our electronic application form and attach a cover letter and resume. Apply below for Law Clerk and Intern positions.
The Nebraska Appleseed Internship Program is a hands on way to learn about nonprofit and advocacy work in Nebraska.
Our internships are part time, unpaid positions (8-12 hours per week). Interns work within our programs to conduct research projects, assist with advocacy and public policy work, help with community outreach and education, and provide general office support.
Interns work directly under the supervision of a Nebraska Appleseed staff member in one of our four program areas (Immigrants and Communities, Economic Justice, Health Care Access, and Child Welfare).
We will be accepting Summer 2019 applicants from April 8th-19th, 2019.
If you have any questions, you can email our Organizing Director, Selina, at email@example.com
Nebraska Appleseed clerkships are full or part time positions open to current law students that provide opportunities to experience a wide variety of public interest law. Law clerks will do research, legal writing, litigation support, assist with administrative appeals and advocacy and conduct public policy research and analysis. Law clerks work directly under the supervision of Nebraska Appleseed Staff Attorneys allowing them to get one on one attention and direction.
- Economic Justice Program Law Clerk
- Immigrants & Communities Program Law Clerk
- Health Care Program Law Clerk
- Child Welfare Program Law Clerk