MAKE JUSTICE HAPPEN
Nebraska Appleseed is a nonprofit organization that fights for justice and opportunity for all Nebraskans. We take a systems-based approach to complex issues – such as child welfare, immigration policy, affordable health care, and poverty – and we take our work wherever we believe we can do the most good, whether that’s in the courthouse, at the Capitol, or in the community.
The Communications Director develops, coordinates, and implements a communications strategy and narrative that advances Nebraska Appleseed’s mission and builds the organizational brand and reputation across all programs. The Communications Director reports to the Strategy Senior Director and works in collaboration with the Communications Associate and the Nebraska Appleseed Leadership Team ensuring that communication, messaging, and agency branding across all technology platforms and program and development strategies occur. The Communications Director leads the Communications Team and is a member of the Directors Team and Strategy Directors Team.
- Ensure work is aligned to the goals of the Communications Team, and the strategic objectives of the organization
- Develops an annual strategic communications plan for the organization, including working with program teams to develop and implement strategic communications plans for projects and campaigns
- Works in conjunction with the Communications Associate and program staff to develop internal and external messaging for projects
- Conducts weekly meetings with the Communications Associate to receive updates, provide guidance, and understand progress and barriers
- Initiates and sets goals with the Communications Associate ensuring work aligns with the strategic messaging and communications goals of the organization
- Provides communications support where needed, including drafting earned, paid, and digital communications, and other written material for specific projects, campaigns, and events
- Creates rapid response communications for specific projects when necessary
- Monitors news coverage and carries out strategies to shape the public dialogue on issues that are central to Nebraska Appleseed’s mission
- Builds and maintains relationships with reporters and digital media outlets ensuring that issue and story coverage related to Nebraska Appleseed’s work occurs
- Maintains Appleseed’s brand standards for the organization and reviews materials to ensure consistency
- Collaborates with the Public Relations and Marketing Committee of the Board of Directors
What you Bring to the Position
The ideal candidate will have the following background or a combination of the following qualifications:
- Must have strong initiative and accountability to address issues, formulate plans, and implement solutions that align with organizational strategy
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish is preferred but not required
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with diverse stakeholders to produce exceptional results
- Strong crisis management skills and the ability to maximize messaging opportunities and minimize risks in challenging situations
- Ability to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient use of all social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Vimeo, Snapchat
- Experience/Proficiency creating effective, visual graphics using Canva or other graphic design software
- Experience with Google Apps, McIntosh, Creative Cloud, and contact databases
- Experience with planning, capturing, and editing video content
- Experience with policy advocacy and/or community organizing
- 3 years experience in a leadership position within communications management
- Excellent strategic judgment. The ability to see how to move issues forward in both the short and long term in Nebraska
Salary and Benefits
Salary of $68,000 to $73,000 and comprehensive benefits including health, vision, dental, 401(k), and vacation.
The application deadline is May 31, 2022, and the target start date is July 2022.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to Nebraska Appleseed, Attn: Human Resources, PO Box 83613, Lincoln, NE 68501-3613Nebraska Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Nebraska Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
AT APPLESEED, WE WELCOME PASSIONATE INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE DEDICATED TO BUILDING A NEBRASKA WHERE EVERYONE CAN ENJOY THE GOOD LIFE.
There are currently no positions available. Stay up to date on all the happenings at Nebraska Appleseed by subscribing to our News & Action newsletter, and following us online on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Fighting for a more just Nebraska is a lot of work. This is why we are committed to the health and well-being of every one of our team members.
Race equity lens at the forefront
As a social justice nonprofit, all of our program focuses have a race equity lens. We are committed to ending the disparities in the courthouse, the statehouse, and the community.
After one year, employees have up to six weeks of paid Family Leave and can bring their children to our office, ages one and under.
PLANNING FOR THE FUTURE
Employees can immediately participate in our 401k plan and receive a 4% employer match. Additionally, Appleseed pays 100% for health insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance for employee coverage.
RECHARGE FOR JUSTICE
After five years, employees receive a two-week paid sabbatical to take time off to explore and pursue their personal endeavors. Every five years after that, employees receive a four-week paid sabbatical.
LEARNING AND GROWING IN YOUR ROLE
Employees can use their professional development funds to pursue their endeavors and advance in their role as a team member.
Nebraska Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Nebraska Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability.