Field Organizer, Economic Justice & Health Care Access
Organization: Nebraska Appleseed Center for Law in the Public Interest
Nebraska Appleseed is seeking a full-time Field Organizer in our Economic Justice & Health Care Access Programs to coordinate grassroots, community-driven advocacy and engagement efforts around issues of health care access and poverty in Nebraska.
Broad areas of work include:
- Long-term relationship building and leadership development among populations affected by health care access and poverty issues.
- Grassroots advocacy campaigns engaging supporters to take action on health care access and anti-poverty public policies.
- Increasing awareness and understanding on issues of health care access and economic justice in Nebraska.
The Field Organizer will report to the Director of the Economic Justice and Health Care Access Programs and will also work in close collaboration with the Field Director, the Economic Justice and Health Care Access teams, other Appleseed staff organizers, and community partners.
Nebraska Appleseed is a nonprofit organization that fights for justice and opportunity for all Nebraskans. Appleseed takes a systemic approach to complex issues – such as children’s welfare, immigration policy, affordable healthcare, and poverty – and we take our work wherever we can do the most good, whether that’s in the courthouse, at the statehouse, or in the community. For more information visit neappleseed.org.
- Coordinate and support grassroots engagement in advocacy campaigns on issues important to those affected by health care access and other poverty issues.
- Identify, build, and mobilize a base of Nebraskans in support of health care access and economic justice issues.
- Set and meet benchmarks for grassroots engagement, volunteer recruitment, and leadership development.
- Connect Nebraska efforts with national networks and campaigns.
- Work with the Field Director, the Economic Justice team, and the Health Care Access team to ensure short-term grassroots campaigns are connected with a long-term vision for capacity building and leadership development among affected populations.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration on issue-based organizing and civic engagement among community leaders, organizations, and individuals statewide.
- Work with the Field Director and the Director of Information Technology to create effective systems for tracking data, contacts, and community engagement within the work.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or three (3) years experience in the nonprofit field required.
- Two (2) years experience with grassroots field organizing preferred.
- A facilitator with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a range of personalities and skill levels to build consensus from diverse groups and produce high quality results.
- Experience working with communities and leaders from diverse backgrounds (e.g., immigrant, multicultural, rural/urban).
- A self-starter with lots of initiative who can manage multiple projects, next steps, and deadlines.
- A strategic thinker who always keeps the big picture in mind.
- A leader who develops leadership in others and can manage from strategic to tactical levels.
- Experience training and managing volunteers and interns is a plus.
- A valid driver’s license and a flexible schedule with the ability to work some evenings, weekends, and travel around the state.
- Spanish language proficiency preferred.
- Demonstrated skills utilizing CRM/database systems, voter files, phone banking software, and online advocacy tools is a plus.
- A team player who is curious, creative, energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary based on experience plus benefits including health, vision, dental, 401(k), paid sick days and paid vacation.
The application deadline is July 15, 2015 and the target start date is September 1, 2015. Please send a cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample (letter, memo, excerpt from a paper or report, presentation, etc) and list of three references via email to email@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact Cassandra Ndahiro at 402.438.8853 x122.
Nebraska Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Nebraska Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or handicap.