The U.S. Senate took a great step toward fixing our outdated immigration laws last week when it voted overwhelmingly to pass a historic immigration bill with a path to citizenship for aspiring Americans. The bipartisan vote was 68-32! Unfortunately, Senator Johanns and Senator Fischer voted against the bill.
On the same day, more than 40 diverse Nebraska groups gathered in Omaha to show widespread support for common-sense movement forward by thousands of Nebraskans representing our state’s agriculture, small-business, faith, civic, children’s, families’, and workers’ interests.
Now, it’s the House’s turn.
Tell your congressman to support immigration reform
Our congressmen are back home this week during the July 4th recess so now is a great time for them to hear from you!
Please call your congressman this week and let him know you support common-sense immigration laws that create a clear and attainable process for citizenship and ensure a strong foundation for Nebraska’s families, businesses, communities and future. Then take one more minute and call your senators to share your disappointment in their vote.
- District 1 – Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (402) 438-1598
- District 2 – Rep. Lee Terry (402) 397-9944
- District 3 – Rep. Adrian Smith (308) 384-3900
Not sure which district you live in? Click here to find out.
Updating our immigration laws to provide a clear and attainable process for aspiring Americans to become citizens:
- Reflects our Nebraska values of humanity, family, and common sense.
- Keeps children from suffering under our current system that separates kids from parents and makes them live in fear of having their family broken apart.
- Protects workers and strengthens our economy, cutting $200 billion from our federal deficit in the first decade and $700 billion in the following 10 years.
While the Senate bill wasn’t perfect, it moves us closer than we’ve been in decades to a common-sense system.
National telephone townhalls
Tomorrow, national network Alliance for Citizenship will host national telephone town halls to celebrate victory in the Senate and talk about next steps in the House. RSVP to attend one of the calls:
- Click here to RSVP for the English town hall, 6:30 p.m. Central/7:30 p.m. Eastern
- Click here to RSVP for the Spanish town hall, 7:30 p.m. Central/8:30 p.m. Eastern
And don’t forget to call your Congressman today to ask him to support common-sense immigration laws with a process for citizenship that will strengthen Nebraska’s families, communities, economy, and future.