Position: Program Associate
Nebraska Appleseed is a nonprofit organization that fights for justice and opportunity for all Nebraskans. The focus of our work is on:
- Building a Nebraska where everyone has a real chance to achieve the American Dream;
- Championing a child welfare system that provides safety, stability and a strong future for Nebraska’s children;
- Ensuring all Nebraskans have access to quality affordable health care; and
- Building strong, vibrant, integrated, and engaged communities.
The Program Associate will be responsible for helping to develop and implement solutions to problems facing low-income Nebraskans, including conducting research and working with partners in Nebraska. The Program Associate will be responsible for maintaining and establishing relationships with partners and among coalition members, with a particular focus on coordinating efforts by organizations that conduct outreach and enrollment aimed towards individuals eligible for health insurance in the new Health Insurance Marketplace. The Program Associate will also work with other program staff in areas of access to education and training, as well as work support programs such a food assistance and child care. This position will report to the Director of the Economic Justice (EJ) & Health Care Access Programs (HCAP), but will work closely with the staff attorneys in the EJ and HCAP, and in a collaborative team environment. This is a full time position and will be based in our office in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Coordinate and facilitate current coalition work organized around key issues. This will include facilitating coalition discussions, coordinating meeting agendas, times and minutes, and ensuring the coalition work is moving forward.
- Research issues impacting low-income Nebraskans and help program staff develop policy solutions.
- Utilize research to craft reports and educational materials to help advance policy solutions.
- Develop and carry out targeted community strategies to move initiatives forward. For example, working with community partners to implement policy changes, provide public presentations, and distribute new resources or materials.
- Identify and forge new relationships and coalitions around key issues.
- Assist with project development and work with Program Director and Grant Coordinator to assist in identifying and securing funding for key initiatives.
- Work with Program Director and Field Director on grassroots campaigns.
- Supervising staff that assist with community strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Social Work preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to build and maintain relationships and work with a range of personalities and skill levels to produce high quality results.
- Public speaking skills. The ability to craft and give an effective presentation that engages and informs an audience.
- Strategic thinking. The ability to craft strategies that build support among target audiences and move work forward in an effective way.
- Experience working with or helping to lead coalitions. This includes an understanding of how to work collaboratively, facilitate meetings, and share work effectively among a group of organizations.
- Excellent research and writing skills. Research should be thorough and writing should be clear, concise, organized, and accessible to a wide audience.
- Creative thinker. Someone who can generate new ideas and new approaches to generate support for policy initiatives.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines at one time.
- Excellent technology skills–proficient with Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Apps, and Macs a plus.
- A self-starter who can generate solutions and next steps within a framework of clear expectations.
- Calm in a crisis, with great instincts. The skills to respond to unexpected developments in ways that seize opportunities and minimize negative outcomes.
- Hard worker and able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Experience with policy advocacy and/or community organizing a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary based on experience and benefits including health, vision, dental retirement and vacation.
Position is open until filled. Start Date, September 1, 2014. Please send a cover letter, resume, short writing sample (no more than 1 page) and list of three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please contact Cynthia Davis at 402.438.8853.
Nebraska Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Nebraska Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or handicap.
Nebraska Appleseed routinely has positions for interns and law clerks to help support our work. If you are interested in being a law clerk or intern please complete our electronic application form and attach a cover letter and resume. Apply online for Law Clerk, Intern, & Volunteer positions.
Interns are students who have an interest in public interest work. Interns will provide project support for all discrete project areas and assist with basic office functions such as answering phones, assisting with mailings, and filing. Internships can be done for credit. Specific substantive internships may be possible depending on the project proposed.
A law clerk at Nebraska Appleseed is primarily responsible for general legal research within one of the organization’s discrete project areas and works under the supervision of a staff attorney or the Executive Director. Law clerks will do legal research, draft legal memos, draft policy briefs, provide litigation support, and participate in outreach events. Clerkships can be done for credit and are available to current law school students.
- Economic Justice Program Law Clerk
- Immigrants & Communities Program Law Clerk
- Health Care Program Law Clerk
- Child Welfare Program Law Clerk
Nebraska Appleseed Volunteers are anyone who would like to donate time to Nebraska Appleseed either assisting with events or providing administrative support. Volunteers are generally brought on on an as needed basis.
Online Application for Internships & Clerkships