Job Opening: Manager, Human Resources
The Manager of Human Resources is responsible for providing human resources services to Nebraska Appleseed and its employees. The position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration.
Nebraska Appleseed is a nonprofit organization that fights for justice and opportunity for all Nebraskans. Appleseed takes a systemic approach to complex issues – such as children’s welfare, immigration policy, affordable health care, and poverty – by advocating in the courthouse, at the Capitol, and with the community. For more information visit neappleseed.org.
Nebraska Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Nebraska Appleseed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
This position assumes the lead role in human resources operations for the organization, including the following:
- Develops and administers human resources processes and procedures, including the employee handbook and organizational chart
- Manages hiring processes for the organization including convening and participating on hiring teams, crafting job descriptions, posting the position, managing applications, scheduling interviews, and communicating with applicants
- Manages the onboarding process for new employees
- Coordinates and conducts exit interviews for separating staff
- Maintains current personnel information and files
- Processes payroll via a third-party payroll service
- Administers employee benefits
- Develops training programs targeted to both staff and supervisors
- Provides guidance and coaching on personnel-related issues, consulting with legal director and legal counsel as appropriate
- Provides feedback and coaching
- Supervises and updates performance evaluation and goal setting process
- Someone who is committed to supporting a dynamic and successful nonprofit advocacy organization in achieving its mission.
- Someone who likes a fast-paced environment and can manage and prioritize multiple projects and deadlines effectively.
- Someone who is energetic, flexible, collaborative, proactive, and an excellent communicator.
- At least two years of experience relevant to the responsibilities.
- Strong computer skills, including use of Google Suite, email, and calendar, Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred
- Society for Human Resource Management certification preferred
Salary and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary based on experience and benefits including health, vision, dental, 401(k), and vacation.
See full details at neappleseed.org/jobs.
Application deadline is May 6, 2019 and the target start date is June 5, 2019.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references via email to email@example.com or via mail to Nebraska Appleseed, Attn: Human Resources, 941 O Street, Suite 920, Lincoln, NE 68508.
Get Involved With Nebraska Appleseed
There are many ways to get involved with Appleseed, and we welcome all passionate individuals who are interested in learning more about and becoming engaged in our work.
Fill out our volunteer form below or apply for an internship or clerkship and a staff member will be in touch with you about next steps towards joining us in the fight for justice and opportunity for all Nebraskans.
Internships & Clerkships
Nebraska Appleseed routinely has positions for interns and law clerks to help support our work. If you are interested in being a law clerk or intern please complete our electronic application form and attach a cover letter and resume. Apply below for Law Clerk and Intern positions.
The Nebraska Appleseed Internship Program is a hands on way to learn about nonprofit and advocacy work in Nebraska.
Our internships are part time, unpaid positions (8-12 hours per week). Interns work within our programs to conduct research projects, assist with advocacy and public policy work, help with community outreach and education, and provide general office support.
Interns work directly under the supervision of a Nebraska Appleseed staff member in one of our four program areas (Immigrants and Communities, Economic Justice, Health Care Access, and Child Welfare).
We will be accepting Summer 2019 applicants from April 8th-19th, 2019.
If you have any questions, you can email our Organizing Director, Selina, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nebraska Appleseed clerkships are full or part time positions open to current law students that provide opportunities to experience a wide variety of public interest law. Law clerks will do research, legal writing, litigation support, assist with administrative appeals and advocacy and conduct public policy research and analysis. Law clerks work directly under the supervision of Nebraska Appleseed Staff Attorneys allowing them to get one on one attention and direction.
- Economic Justice Program Law Clerk
- Immigrants & Communities Program Law Clerk
- Health Care Program Law Clerk
- Child Welfare Program Law Clerk